Monday, August 26, 2013

Our Favorite Monsters

Welcome to ENGL 462, folks!

It was GREAT to see you all today and to get talking monsters with you. A few things I thought you might find interesting between now and the next time we meet:

Our Favorite Monsters are:
Zombies: because of all the diff. meanings they can take on/ because I love Night of the Living Dead
Kasa-obake (Japanese umbrella monster): I personally find their appearance fascinating
Pale man/creepy guy from Pan's Labyrinth
Sully from Monsters Inc.
Cookie Monster
Purple minion from Despicable Me 2: They're crazy but loveable
Patrick Batemen: He was an extremely interesting character in American Psycho. He was overly extravagant and didn't seem to care much if he got caught--at the end he even confessed and no one believed him.
The Gentleman from S4 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: because it was the first monster in a long time from a TV show to actually scare me, not to mention the admiration of the creativity behind the monster.
Bertha from Jane Eyre: the idea of "the madwoman in the attic" is indicative of a larger societal opinion of women.

And one of my own:
"Boo" Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird: because it taught me that sometimes those we think are monsters are actually the best allies we could ever have, if only we could be so lucky.

Happy reading! I'll see you all Wednesday.

Best,
Dr. Renzi



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.