Thursday, August 29, 2013

"This thing of darkness I acknowledge mine"

One of Cohen's main arguments is that monsters are born of cultures. His second argument is that the monster always escapes. It is true that the monster always escapes, but I am not so sure that monsters are born of cultures. Cultures are ultimately made up of individuals, and it is the fears shared by certain individuals that produce monsters. This would better explain the reason some monsters exist across multiple cultures without any previous interactions with one another. Cohen states that monsters are our children, but I think they are actually a deep part of ourselves as individuals. The part that rebells against reason, the part we fear because it cannot be suppressed. They are ours in a more significant way than even children we have produced, and that is why we can never truly escape them. No matter where we go, we will always find ourselves, and if the monster is within us, then it will also always be there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.