I would argue that, for the most part, the cinematic choices made in a film adaptation are just as important as thematic choices regarding what they decide to keep, get rid of, or change from the original text. This also proves true for The Innocents. First, I think deciding to do the film in black and white was one of the best choices they could have made. Many films at that time, and before, used Technicolor and attempted to adapt to the newest technology. However, the choice to keep the film in black and white is most fitting for the overall tone and themes of The Innocents, especially as it relates to “Turn of the Screw.”
Another strong aspect of the movie is its excellent close-up shots. Often, the frame will be focused either right on a characters face, or just slightly to the right/left. These close facial shots allow us to actually see the characters’ reactions at various points in the film. Because so much of James’ story is slightly ambiguous, seeing these reactions and emotions up close really helps the audience understand either how to feel about a particular event, or how the directors/storytellers are framing it. It also helps convey the significance of certain points. For example, think about the Governess’ face (wide eyed, alert, and terrified) when she sees Quint on top of the house and through the window, or her reactions during her interview with the children's uncle. I particularly liked the one where part of Flora’s face was in the lower right third of the shot, and we could see the governess in the background; this allowed us to gauge both reactions while also seeing the interaction between the two characters. I think these are a few key moments, among others, that really provide insight into the characters, and just the overall creepiness, of the story.

3 comments:
I also thought the decision to make the film in black and white was a wise choice. I think it adds to the eeriness of the scenes. I don't believe it would have the same effect on the viewers if it were in color.
I agree with Cate that the many close-ups heighten the depth of the characters substantially. Along with the other choices she mentions, the ability to present the ambiguity (or lack thereof) of reactions helps to generate a dialogue between themes presented in the film and in the original story.
Making the film in black and white adds very much to the eeriness and mystery of the whole story. If it where in color the eyes would be drawn to other details, such as the scenery, the costumes, etc. But instead we are drawn straight to the characters and their facial expressions, paying more attention to their characters reaction development.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.