This is a dedicated blog site for Dr. Renzi's Fall 2013 Course, ENG 462 Victorian Writing.
Tuesday, November 12, 2013
Ralph Actually Came
This could be a very minor point, but I was extremely surprised when in the end Ralph actually came to New England. While Lois is very sure that he will come the entire time, I was very doubtful. I believed that he would simply abandon her as the rest of her family and friends would abandon her, save for Captain Holdernesse. I thought this would have served as a further symbol of the complete abandon and isolation of an accused witch during the Salem Witch Trials. I was wrong. I wonder why Gaskell chose to have Ralph appear in the end. It seemed very out of place, but I found that I harbored more respect for Ralph than I had throughout the text. Perhaps this is because he went against his father's wishes out of his love for Lois and travelled across the ocean to be with her. I am unsure as a whole what his purpose serves though. I am inclined to think that it is that the truth or salvation comes too late. Or perhaps, society would not take the testament of a woman for her defense but would take a man's and therefore his late arrival would expose the gender discrimination within the text.
3 comments:
I, too, was surprised that Ralph came back. I think I was most shocked because of the way he was presented throughout the story. It just seemed very sporadic. Had Ralph been introduced in the beginning and then referenced throughout--as though he was a main part of the story and possibly a way out for Lois--it would have been easier to anticipate his return.
I was also doubtful that Ralph would make another appearance, and was equally surprised when he did. It makes me wonder the point of his reappearance since Lois had already passed.
I think it was necessary for Ralph to return-- however late. Lois was confident that he would return; therefore, I think his return shows how level-headed Lois is, especially in comparison to the other characters in the story (such as Manasseh and Faith) who experience a "love" or infatuation that is only one-sided.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.