Thursday, October 17, 2013

Race vs. Disease

As I was reading chapter 23, a particular passage made me wonder about the race of vampires in general.  On page 267, Dracula states "...you think you have left me without a place to rest; but I have more.  My revenge is just begun!  I spread it over centuries, and time is on my side.  Your girls that you all love are are mine already; and through them you and others shall yet be mine - my creatures, to do my bidding and to be my jackals when I want to feed.."  Solely in the context of Dracula, it seems that Dracula is the "head vampire" or at least of his region.  Throughout reading the book, it seems that all other vampires we have seen, the three lady vampires at the beginning of the text, along with those turned into ones, are all working for Dracula as his servants solely living to provide Dracula with food when he desires it.  It makes me think if vampires are really a race, or if it is a disease.

1 comment:

Matthew Lindley said...

There is something more animal than just disease in this as well. Humans don't keep others around to feed on them, or do they? In the animal kingdom, it is one male who keeps a harem of females to keep his lineage passing on. He impregnates as many of them as he can to keep his legacy going. But since Dracula is immortal himself, is he not essentially doing this same thing by feeding on them himself? Rather than using these collection of his own women to create his children, he is using them to keep himself alive. I'd say that he is doing the same thing in concept. He is keeping his legacy going, just in a different way.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.