Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Unnatural


From where does fear originate? This is the question that I have wondered throughout the text, and concluded only that fear is provoked by the unnatural.
The governess articulates, “Here at present I felt afresh—for I had felt it again and again—how my equilibrium depended on the success of my rigid will, the will to shut my eyes as tight as possible to the truth that what I had to deal with was, revoltingly, against nature” (James 77). Not only is the presence of the dead scary because it is unnatural, but even the children’s goodness is considered “unnatural” when their characters are called into question. “Why of the very things that have delighted, fascinated and yet, at bottom, as I now so strangely see, mystified and troubled me. Their more than earthly beauty, their absolutely unnatural goodness” (47). Perhaps this is why (if beauty is considered natural) beauty is a factor in determining one’s goodness. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree, I think that the unnatural beauty is unsettling. I think this has been a really common theme throughout all the other stories as well. If something is beautiful, it brings to light all other imperfections around them in full. As the illusion of beauty fades, the reality of the ugly, and unnatural is revealed. I know this will differently occur in Dorian Grey.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.