This is a dedicated blog site for Dr. Renzi's Fall 2013 Course, ENG 462 Victorian Writing.
Wednesday, October 23, 2013
Miss Rosamond and status
What is Miss Rosamond's status in society? Assuming that her parents were wealthy enough to hire a nurse to take care of her whilst they were still alive, then I would be inclined to assume that they would be an upper class. That makes me perplexed regarding the relation between Miss Rosamond and the nurse. The nurse seems to be very informal with Miss Rosamond, and stepping outside of her status as nurse. She refers to Miss Rosamond with various nicknames such as "Rosy Posy" her "little girl" etc. These all seem very informal. But I assume that given the circumstances that she is practically raising this child as her own, I can see her emotions regarding the child and how much she cares for her. Is this situation outside of the social norm for the time? Would it have been found inappropriate for the nurse to be referring to Miss Rosamond in such a way?
1 comment:
I would assume so. Normally, a nurse could become close to the child they watch and have some informalities, but this case is an exception. The reason being is that Miss Rosamond is now an orphan, and the only person to take care of her is Hester (the nurse). Normally, her duty would be to watch over the child in the absence of the mother, but in this regard, she doesn't become a temporary subsitute for the mother, but takes on the actual role of mother. A mother isn't going to have an informal relationship with the child she watches as her own. I think the reason for their close relationship also has to do with Miss Rosamond's personality, as she seems like a person everyone likes and who would be more informal to begin with.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.