Monday, September 9, 2013

All that we know threatens our well being ... unless we take care of it.

      While the title of this blog post has a haunting ominous tinge to it, I thought I'd brighten it up with a full explanation of my thoughts about the knowledge/threat binary we had discussed in class last Monday. As I am reading Frankenstein, I can't help but analyze Victor's character flaws as he begins the account of his creation. There is so much foreshadowing in this book that Mary Shelley not so subtly tells you the ending in the first few pages of the novel. Victor and Walton both suffer from the allusion that is discovery, knowledge, and how it links to grandeur. Victor is the embodiment of the knowledge/threat binary primarily exampled in his reaction to his monster coming to life. I pose this question to the class, obviously we've all made plans to one day make an impact on the Earth around us, but has anyone thought of the consequences it would have on our own lives or how we would deal with the burden of maintaining our successes? Victor desired to create something anew, but it would seem he never thought about having to take care of his creation.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

These ideas beg speculation on how the story would have been different if Victor did not abandon his creation. Would the monster still desire a companion? Would he still be lonely with the company and affection of his creator? However, I think one of the most important questions is would Frankenstein's creation have been considered a "monster" at all?

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.