Monday, September 23, 2013

Jack the Ripper is on Twitter (Not really, but kind of)

As I was getting my daily news fix today, I came across a link that said something along the lines of "Jack the Ripper Murders Live Tweeted." Well, obviously that makes no sense. And who wouldn't click on that for clarification? After I did, I found that an organization recently started a twitter account solely dedicated to Whitechapel and the Jack the Ripper murders. I found a better article that includes more details on BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-23759777

This also includes a link to the twitter, if you'd like to look at it. I don't use twitter so I may be biased, but I have mixed feelings about this. Their intentions seem good; they explicitly state that they want to draw attention to the murders and give the victims justice. But I'm not sure that twitter is the best way to do that. Also, it seems as though it may be aimed at revealing the identity of the murderer, which would undermine the attention that was supposed to be placed on the victims.

Does anyone else have thoughts on this? I just thought I would share it with everyone here on the blog since we've been talking about it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think it's very much trying to bring that same sense of sensationalist frenzy to today's world, which honestly we already have enough of. That being said, it's definitely an interesting way to try to reveal new information in regard to the murders, and bring forth new theories and debates. Though it's frustrating that people feel the need to "dumb down" history in order to make the "younger generation" pay attention. Quite a lot of the younger generation know about Jack the Ripper believe it or not. But the exposure, I think will have it's benefits and downfall

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.