Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Frankenstein thinks you're a phony

Some people love Catcher and the Rye and others hate it.  The main reason? Holden Caulfield.  People think he whines too much, and has"too" pessimistic view on society around him.  I think I can't stand Frankenstein for similar reasons.  Every few sentences he's rambling on about how people aren't as good as him,  when something bothers him he will not let it go, or gets deathly sick when he is in distress.   Looking more into this, I realize that Shelley is playing upon the more accepted "feminine" traits of the time and giving them to Frankenstein to make them seem ridiculous. The Victorian era contained many a fainting lady, and gossip.  Not many men participated in these activities.  Give these traits to a man, and he is a wimp.  The whole book I kept rolling my eyes, wishing I could tell Frankenstein to suck it up and deal with what he's created.  He keeps running away, and falling ill, and overall acts like a child throwing a temper tantrum; putting his hands over his ears, singing so he won't hear what his monster has to say.  When all is said and done, Frankenstein is a coward. He delegates HIS responsibility to his monster to a random man he just met, and passes on his own self-imposed ignorance to a self educated, "lower" man. But the annoying thing is that Frankenstein RECOGNIZES this and yet he keeps going! "I dare not ask you to do what I think right, for I may still be misled by passion"(pg 295).  This is his way of manipulating the pure of heart, ultimately leading to their demise wither physically or emotionally.  Essentially I find Frankenstein a whiny, hypocritical, manipulative, loudmouthed coward who doesn't know when to sit down and shut up. People like HIM are the reason we have wars and failed peace talks..

*NOTE: I actually enjoyed Catcher in the Rye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.