As noted a few weeks back, there is an overt master/slave
relationship between Frankenstein and his monster. This relationship is
depicted several times throughout the novel, and specifically articulated by
the monster when he calls himself the master and calls Frankenstein his slave.
Interestingly, this master/slave relationship is also seen
between Jekyll and Hyde. This is more difficult to see, as Jekyll and Hyde are
two characters inhabiting the same being; however, Jekyll becomes the slave to
Hyde following his decision to abandon his monstrous side in the hopes of
preserving the balance of his soul. Yet Hyde distinguishes his form as more
powerful, as Jekyll at first gives in to temptation and transforms into Hyde.
Following Jekyll’s lack of will power, he then begins to involuntarily
transform into Hyde. Jekyll describes his inability to refuse Hyde’s desire to
be released, “…I was seized again with those indescribable sensations that
heralded the change” (Stevenson 53). Jekyll cannot resist or control his
secondary form, making him the inferior form.
2 comments:
This is a very interesting concept, especially as it relates to the characters specifically. I think that much like Frankenstein and his creature, there is a bit of give and take with this Master and Slave relationship. I also agree that Jekyll indeed becomes the inferior form. This is particularly interesting because it contrasts with his public appearance in the beginning of the book. He's described as a strong, powerful figure, yet he actually assumes the role of the slave.
This is an interesting thought, I had not thought to connect the two, but after mentioning it, I can visualize the concept.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.