Thursday, September 5, 2013

Nature


While reading the first volume of “Frankenstein,” I have noticed multiple instances in which Victor Frankenstein has reflected upon nature. He is awed by it, as it has the ability to refresh his mind with a sense of calm or peace. One instance of this is during Frankenstein’s journey back to Geneva. He articulates, “By degrees the calm and heavenly scene restored me” (Shelly 73). Although Victor positively experienced nature often, he pays it no attention while he is focused on his creation. He recalls, “Winter, spring, and summer passed away during my labours; but I did not watch the blossom or the expanding leaves—sights which before always yielded me supreme delight” (54). Could this decreased appreciation of nature suggest Frankenstein’s action of creating his monster rebels against nature?

2 comments:

Lauren Barker said...

I think you make a really good observation and I completely agree. It seems that because nature is a "true" creation made by God it has the power to restore whereas Frankenstein has created an abomination only capable of destruction.

Martha Reckers said...

I do believe that in Frankenstein's scientific pursuit he is going against the nature or better yet the natural order of things. The monster was created from various dead body parts and the fact that he was able to bring the monster to life only further supports the idea that the monster was born from death. Whether we call it playing God or rebelling, Frankenstein has played a part no human should play in accordance with the natural world.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.