Thursday, September 12, 2013

Walton's Reaction

Something that I found interesting about the end of the book is Walton's initial reaction when he sees the creature grieving over Frankenstein's body. He is disturbed by the creature's appearance but admits, "His voice seemed suffocated; and my first impulses, which had suggested to me the duty of obeying the dying request of my friend, in destroying his enemy, were now suspended by a mixture of curiosity and compassion" (158). He tells the creature that his grief and guilt are useless now, then listens as the creature talks about his intense loneliness and self-hatred. After hearing the creature describe his torment, Walton again says, "I was at first touched by the expressions of his misery; yet when I called to mind what Frankenstein had said of his powers of eloquence and persuasion, and when I again cast my eyes on the lifeless form of my friend, indignation was re-kindled within me" (159). Walton's reaction to the creature is much different than any other reaction to him throughout the book, including Frankenstein's. He ends up describing the creature in terms reminiscent of how Satan is described in the Bible. Its not his grotesque appearance that causes him to recoil (although he does think he is hideous), but seems to be the fact that the creature's words have tempted him into feeling sympathetic towards him despite everything that Frankenstein has said. Walton might have been able to interact with the creature on a more human level and shown him more kindness and sympathy, but chooses to believe everything Frankenstein has said about the creature being nothing more than a persuasive monster.

1 comment:

Monica said...

I think it's interesting that you have put the monster in conversation with Satan. It definitely brings up the idea of whether the monster truly is monstrous or just the embodiment of the idea of monstrosity. As we were talking about in seminar, the idea that Satan is not the source of all evil but rather the temptation, I believe can be brought up here as well. The persuasiveness of the monster lends to the idea that he as well is temptation, and thus the symbol for intellectual temptation gone awry, rather than the embodiment of monstrosity and evil.

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.