One of
the themes I’ve found most interesting in Frankenstein is the idea that too
much knowledge could potentially be dangerous. This comes up multiple times,
especially in relation to Frankenstein. Not only does he see the danger in the
monster he has created, but his continual obsession with learning more and
pursuing his studies takes a physical toll on his body. In retelling his story,
he stresses the point that excessive “passion” for something may result in
rather negative consequences. He includes that he does not think “the pursuit
of knowledge is an exception to this rule,” and even goes so far as to say it
can be “unlawful” (34). Here, he seems to be advocating against pursuing one’s
interest and acquiring more knowledge in order to avoid any difficulties. The idea of too much knowledge being a dangerous
or negative thing is still quite common today, especially in religion. For
example, some of my uber-religious relatives tell me that too much intelligence
is “harmful” when it comes to god, and we should shun intelligence in favor of
simply believing what the bible says. Of course not everyone feels this way,
but it is indicative of a common belief. Perhaps it arises from a fear of the
unknown, or perhaps it is simply easier to simply accept our basic surroundings
and avoid any complication. In Frankenstein’s case, it is easy to understand
why he would offer such advice, after his endless pursuit of knowledge resulted
in a bout of madness, negative health consequences, and an encounter with a
monster he created. However, both sides of such an argument are indeed valid;
even if knowledge is dangerous, it may not outweigh some of the overwhelmingly
positive benefits.
4 comments:
I also found this theme to be interesting. It was often reoccurring and even explicitly stated that knowledge can be dangerous. Frankenstein addresses the reader as he warns, “Learn from me, if not by my precepts, at least by my example, how dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge, and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to become greater than his nature will allow” (Shelley, 51). I found this to be especially interesting due to the belief that knowledge is power. As society and universities often promote this belief, Frankenstein suggests just the opposite.
I have also found this theme evident in the story thus far. I feel that too much knowledge, or more specifically, the wrong type of knowledge (knowledge thought to be true) can be even more dangerous.
I think you can also see this in our discussion on John Hunter. While his contributions to science were great, it did come at a cost of disobeying explicit wishes and laws. Not to mention many of the avenues in which he gained this knowledge were gruesome. At what point does the pursuit of knowledge become dishonorable? And if it reaches that point is it still acceptable to continue?
Your comment on the relatives saying one should ignore pursuit of knowledge in regard to God I find interesting. I was always taught to question and to ask even though I may not always find the answers. Ignorance is not always bliss. I could reference Plato's allegory of the cave but I'll spare you. I find that pursuing knowledge thus overthinking that knowledge are two different things. That's the difference I think behind the main character's mindset.
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.